Tuesday 2 July 2013

Tim's 12 Tags - July

Good day blog friends!  I'm quick off the mark with Tim Holtz's tag for July - a combinations of (a) being on leave and (b) having most of the materials at hand. 
 
It just so happens that I studied the American War of Independence as part of the syllabus for my History "O" level.  In those days the exam was very much about events and dates so there was a LOT of studying to be done, and I have a clear memory of sitting in the garden, reading through my notes.  Unfortunately, I would get as far as Napoleon's 100 days and decide enough was enough, I'd pick up where I left off next time.  Next time, however, I wouldn't be able to remember a thing about anything I'd read so I'd go back over the first bit, get to Napoleon and fall off again...The upshot of it all was I went into the exam knowing a great deal about the American War of Independence and Napoleon and not a lot of anything else!  (I passed the exam so I must have remembered more than I thought I did).
 
The tag is also very appropriate as a way of commemorating the Prescott firefighters, who gave their lives in the course of a day's work protecting their community.  There are no words that will do them justice.
 
I try to keep close to Tim's original when making the tags, using them as an exercise in the technique.  Some I like more than others - and I really loved the background technique with the brayer - I will definitely be using it again.  I didn't have the flag die and honestly couldn't see myself getting a lot of use out of one...however, the Silhouette store has a very similar flag...and what was more, I already had it in my library.  I cut it four times out of kraft card and layered it up, and did the same with the stars.  Sentiment was printed out  and the number 4 is a die-cut.
 
Thanks for stopping by - hope you enjoyed your visit!
 
Crafty Hugs,
 
Keen
 
 
 





8 comments:

Redanne said...

I would never have guessed that was not the flag die that Tim used. Your tag is wonderful and a fitting tribute those who so sadly lost their lives in the course of a day's work. Hugs, Anne x

Maisie Moonshine said...

Hi Keren. Great tag. I really liked the brayer technique too and know I'll be using it again. I would never have guessed about the die either! MMx

ike said...

FABULOUS - I love the way you can see through the flag. A marvelous tag :-)

Hugz
IKE xx

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

What a wonderful tag. I love how the sentiment ties into the musical background.

Rosie said...

A fantastic tag for this Challenge.

Have a nice weekend

Scrapthat said...

Very nice!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You really stayed true to Tim's! Very nice job!

Claudia N. said...

Wow, a very cool take on Tim's tag! LOVE it! Congrats on making Top3 at SanDee&amelie's btw. ;)

die amelie x